Make it yours. At Kaiser Permanente, we realize that it takes more than expert medical care to be one of the nation’s leading health care providers and not-for-profit health plans. It takes advanced technologies, state-of-art facilities, and the people to support them. Come impact your future, and the future of care. Join us in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Assist the coders and supervisor by assuring the final diagnoses and operative procedures as stated by the physician are valid and complete. Assigns and sequences ICD-9-CM/CPT/HCPCS codes based off of diagnoses and procedures within the record. Communicate effectively with doctors, nurses and other medical staff as it relates to billing and coding issues.
- Reviews patient documentation to ensure its accuracy and meaningfulness. Identifies diagnostic and procedural information.
- Identifies reportable elements, complications and other procedures. Ensures complete disease and procedure reporting. Verifies documentation supports diagnoses, procedures, and treatment results.
- Identifies discrepancies, potential quality of care, and billing issues.
- Assigns codes for reimbursements, research and compliance with Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and adheres to official AHA coding guidelines.
- Sequences diagnoses and procedures by following the Uniform Hospital Discharge Data Set (UHDDS), and adhering to standards of billing set by Medicare, Medicaid, and other intermediaries.
- Abstracts data elements for administrative/planning reports, reimbursement and research.
- Keeps abreast of advances in technology, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases that affect coding and reimbursement changes.
- Performs other duties and accepts responsibility as assigned.
Completion of an accredited Health Information Management program and/or coding certificate course; OR Six months experience in a clerical or clinical work setting requiring coding job responsibilities in one of the following areas of Acute care hospital settings, Hospital-Based outpatient clinics, Ambulatory Care, SNF (Skilled Nursing Facility), Insurance companies, Law firms, Private businesses, or Government agencies.
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) or Certified Coding Associate (CCA) by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- Knowledge of MS Office tools (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Extensive use of computer (10 Key) and office equipment including fax, copy machines, scanners.
- Strong analytical and communications skills (Verbal and in Writing); detailed oriented.
- Technical skills to work with detailed systems, computer applications and intradepartmental units.
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player.
- Knowledge of TJC requirements and federal and state guidelines applicable to health record completeness and patient privacy.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology and/or anatomy and physiology.-Ability to use independent thought and judgement, easily adapt to unfamiliar systems.
- High school diploma or GED
- Post high school coursework in medical terminology.
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Health Care & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time Off
- Sick Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Education Assistance
- Career and Development Opportunities
- Employee Discounts
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Please apply online using the link provided or by going to https://www.kaiserpermanentejobs.org/ and searching for 684485.